Friday, January 1, 2010

Ice Fishing Part One


Me and my new found friend Tanner Morrison decided to build a hard water fishing enclosure. This is not the first ice shack I have owned. My virgin attempt at construction way back in the years of high school consisted of me thinking that I would be able to use my mighty brawn and brain power to fashion a suitable ice hut. However, like most virgin attempts, the outcome left me very unsatisfied. In recent years I have retired the old shack to the back wall of my gazebo that I built this summer. Here it sits, patiently housing my bicycles in the summer time. The old boy was simply not practical for the hard water sport. It was so heavy that six men with large chests were needed every time it was to be loaded or unloaded onto a vehicle. With this in mind Tanner and I headed strictly toward building a light and simple shack that could be easily set up every year when the geese fly South. The materials cost roughly 180 dollars in total and in the end that shack was so light that I could tie a rope to it and actually run it along the ice while my girlfriend sat inside wishing I was a reindeer.... and the shack was St. Nicks sleigh.

The shack is built into parts and then assembled. The building of the shack took about an hour from start to finish with two people and then I was able, with some difficulty, to assemble it by myself in about an hour once I got it out to the lake.

Here is what the disassembled parts look like. In the background on the right you can seen the cabin my parents purchased on echo earlier this summer.
If you want to know more about the plans of the shack, send me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment