Monday, August 9, 2010

northern feasting




When I go places I really get a kick out of figuring out what tasty edible wild things exist in the area. I think my favorite place though has to be the Canadian shield in summer time. Fish, clams, grouse if you wait until early fall, wild mint, rock tripe, Labradore tea, raspberries, saskatoons, cranberries and wild blueberries everywhere, you name it really.

Most of these are common knowledge things except for maybe Labradore tea, rock tripe and wild mint. Wild mint occurs in places along the shoreline that are somewhat sheltered, it obviously is delicious in tea and what not. Rock tripe is some sort of black brittle thing that grows on the side of rocks overlooking the waters edge, but it turns rubbery when it gets wet and can be eaten like a leafy green, added to soups or even used to lengthen your flour if you crumble it up when it is dry. But Labrodore tea is the real kicker. You find it in boggy areas and you obviously make it into tea if you could not figure that out. I don't want to sound like a new age hippie but I swear by its affects as a cure all. If I feel ill it always solves my problems, and lord knows I have lots of those. Some also say if you seep it enough it becomes a mild narcotic. Nice.

Here is a couple pics.
One is my lunch bucket for the day.
One has a bag of Labradore tea while the other bag is wild blueberries
The third picture is some wild onions I picked up in Fernie, these can also be found along the North Saskatchewan river for certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment