Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Finally


I am finally going to do it. Something that has been scratching at the back of my mind for a couple of years now is finally going to become reality. The proverbial egg has hatched. . I am going to raise a couple of hens. Last summer I was very close to doing this but around the same period of time one of my neighbours had called the bylaw officer on me for an unkempt pile of lumber as well as someone called to have my car towed after it had been parked in the same space for more than a day(which is total horseshit, "oh I'm sorry if you had to walk an extra 10 feet to get to your house you lazy good for nothing ungulate"). So I felt that I was being watched a little to closely by one or more of my neighbours and decided at the time that it would be a bad idea to bring more rain upon my head.

Anyway enough ranting about the past, I am three quarter of the way done building a chicken coop for two Salmon Faverolle hens. The Faverolle is a quiet French multi purpose breed meaning they will supply me with eggs all summer long and in the fall I shall have a delicious feast. A harvest feast if you will. I am perfectly aware of the illegalities of what I am about to do but I feel that food is a human right and as long as my two girls are not affecting anyone negatively than i see no issue. If the bylaw officer comes by I have full plans to make this an issue with the city and media and will petition the bureaucrats to see things my way. There are many many cities throughout North America that allow backyard chickens, including some very big cities. Saskatoon is currently reviewing their bylaw against laying hens and hopefully the law there is upturned as this may set progressive decision making in motion for the rest of the province.

I will post more tomorrow when the coop is finished and my two girls are contempt in their new home.

For interested parties- I learned much about the subject of backyard chickens from this lovely site- www.backyardchickens.com as well this is where i found the idea for my coop tractor.

rusticundertakings is currently listening to Neil Young- Live and Unplugged.

No comments:

Post a Comment