Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bees!

I had the opportunity to stretch out a bee suit yesterday and inspect my first hive. I have made acquaintances with an elderly man that is willing to apprentice me in apiculture. He brought home a hive to his house in the city so we could unwrap it and so the wonderful insects could pollinate all the neighbour's gardens. I would kill a small child for a neighbour with a bee hive.

Recently, bee keepers have taken to overwintering their bees in Canada due to the problems with bees in America. The overwintering requires only a small amount of insulation around the outside of the hive. So we unwrapped the protection and inside the hive was covered in bees, pollen, honey and new brood. It was oh so exciting to basically pick up 600 bees in your hand and not be stung. No pictures this time but hopefully if all goes well I will bee out and about at the apiary lots this summer.

Now all I have on my mind is making mead. GOOOD GLORIOUS MEAD!

If your bored you should google the peril of the bee these days. For some reason honey bees are not surviving at rates they once did, but no one knows why.
possibly aliens? maybe the fell into mel's hole

No comments:

Post a Comment