Friday, November 20, 2009

Wood smoke

What is it about the smell of wood smoke? Why does it provoke all my fondest memories? Why does the aroma instantly make me happy? Why is it around whenever i am truly enjoying my life? Why does it function as a cloud of comfort for me? Is it some sort of misunderstood mood enhancer? Does it trigger some sort of primordial human emotion? An emotion felt when times were happier long ago. Does it put us more in touch with our ancestors? Or the creator? Some people believe smoke sends our prayers and thoughts to the mysterious over sear in the clouds. The questions are endless, but for me, i am able to narrow it down to one definite answer.

For me, it is but a reminder. A recollection of those moments in time that are truly significant. Sitting around the camp stove with good pals after a long day of moose hunting. Perched on a log at the side of a mountain lake after taking the plunge off the granite cliffs all afternoon. Hanging around the fireplace with my family on Christmas morning. Lighting the stove in the cabin after hammering walleye all day. Not to mention the always common but never inappreciable moments late at night in the backyard with your best friends. Simply stated, All my favorite days culminate in night time campfires With the sweet fragrance of wood smoke always nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment