Tuesday, November 24, 2009

punked on the morning hunt.

So I went out for a little morning hunt for deer today around the city of Regina. No farther from the city then about ten minutes. I drive around for about 20 minutes without seeing anything and then head down a prairie trail we had found on Sunday where someone had set up a little makeshift tree stand in the bush. I got out of my truck to take a poop when i hear some Hungarian Partridges. Having seen nothing the rest of the morning, i go and open up my gun case to change the barrels on my shotgun and try my hand and convincing some poultry onto the dinner plate. I have a Mossberg five hundred that came with a riffled slug barrel for deer and a smooth bore barrel for shot. So i put in my chicken barrel and walk thirty yards away from the truck where i cross the fence where it sounds like the chickens are hanging around. No sooner do i hop over the fence when i turn to my right and not thirty fucking yards away comes a nice four by four whitetail deer trotting broad side to me. I could have screamed! Easiest shot in the world. I would not have even had to haul the deer back to the vehicle, it was right on the trail! I gave a try at getting back to the Ford for my other barrel before the deer noticed me but i had no such luck. Him and his other two friends who had now joined him quickly jumped the barbed wire and slowly walked just out of range of my peace maker. Such is Murphy's law though as not only could i not get the deer but it turned out the Huns were a good 600 yards away and sound just apparently travels like wildfire in the fall morning.

I suppose it was at least not a total loss. Now i know where the deer are at and i have a tree stand to use. So wish me luck tomorrow morning as i get up bright and early to try to rattle in a buck for the supper table.

No comments:

Post a Comment