Monday, November 30, 2009

What to do?



So now that i have shot a deer. What do i do? I had never skinned a mammal before, nor have I butchered one. After we loaded the deer into the truck and did a little bit more hunting we took him back to town where I strung it up from the rafters only to realize that i really did not know what i was doing. So i went at it anyway. skinning the deer was actually very easy and i convinced my younger brother to give me a hand. Once we had his shirt off we went right into the deboneing, which was also very straight forward. Cut the meat off the bone. Not rocket science. Now what? I had seen a couple times what the elders would use to smoke their moose meat up north. I highly respected these people i had met on a couple of my adventures. People living off the land and respecting their Earth, with tales that would interest even the most worldly of folk. I figured they certainly must be doing something right. The smokers i had seen consisted of a bathtub type arrangement where the fire would go and then a three sided triangle like structure to funnel the smoke. Now i did not have an entire moose to smoke so i simplified the design a little bit and used a washing machine hub instead of the bath tub. Peanut butter jerky time! I figured i could design a recipe for myself. So i did.

3kg venison, 1 cup teriyaki sauce, quarter cup Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar. two tablespoons pepper, 3 table spoons meat tenderizer, splash of lemon juice, 6 cloves garlic and one whole white onion. Let the meat sit in that for a day then smoke the shit out of it, being careful not to get it to close to the flame.

Life is good when you are eating jerky all the time.

3 comments:

  1. jeffery, you are a genius. i highly doubt that i have the skill to build a fleshing beam while you're away. or the above-freezing workspace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude that jerky was tasty as fuck. Remember, I got some beer with your name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beerrrrrrr. frick ya. im gona come home early and make all that deer into jerky.
    oh and jenna. we will tan that hide when i get home then. i heard it is like minus fucking thirty there! we would need to find somewhere warm

    ReplyDelete