Thursday, June 3, 2010

tis the season






For dandelions that is. For most folks, dandelions are the most pesky of weeds, hard to pull up and they are fucking everywhere(this is true, I picked enough flowers within 40 feet of the back porch. And lets face it, they really do suck when they are crowding your garden. BUT! they also serve the greater good. Dandelions can be put into salads, used for herbal remedies, made into a tea, the roots dried as a coffee substitute, and in this particular case, they make everyones favorite wine.

For price of chicken scratch(15 loons) I was able to make a little over 2 gallons of wine. This should give me ten bottles of wine after all the sediment is left over. A buck fifty a bottle eh? NOT BAD. I would say from start to finish I probably put in about 2 hours of work, but it was enjoyable work, and it would have either been that or twidling my thumbs wathing the evening roll past me....and I prefer to do things.

I used the second recipe off of this interwebs site here except that I doubled it and added some cloves when I tossed in the orange peelings.

This is also only the start. Hopefully this year will yield more saskatoon and apple wine and hopefully will see me try a sand cherry wine for the first time. But these will have to wait. Maybe by the time fruit season rolls around I can get good and sauced for the pickins off of this dandy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment