Sunday, June 20, 2010

Broody Hens

So I have a broody hen. What does this mean? It means it is trying to hatch its unfertilized eggs. Why are chickens so stupid? I am not sure. A broody hen poses a number of problems. In a coop like mine with only one nest box, the other chicken is never able to get to the box to lay because the other hen is being a stubborn bitch. The broody hen also greatly slows down its food intake as well as neglecting water because it is busy being lazy. So what do you do? You keep tossing it out of the nest box while avoiding pecks from every which angle. Google also told me to try dunking it in water to cool its body temperature down, making it uncomfortable to brood and hopefully waking it from its predicament. We will see how it goes. Up until now my hens have been excellent, producing just about one egg a day each and keeping very silent. I sure as shit can not be complaining about four egg skillets on lazy sunday mornings. Could be better if the skillets were brought to me in bed by cute girls with loose morrals, but I'm better at dreaming than convincing. The city also has not caught onto me yet and hopefully we can keep it at that. I'm sure the city workers are all just to busy working hard... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment